ST EDMUND'S CATHOLIC PRIMARY SCHOOL, SKELMERSDALE
DETERMINED ADMISSION POLICY AND ARRANGEMENTS 2020/2021
St Edmund’s is a Catholic School under the trusteeship of the Archdiocese of Liverpool. It is maintained by Lancashire County Council. As a Voluntary Aided School, the Governing Body is the Admissions Authority and is responsible for taking decisions on applications for admissions. The co-ordination of admissions arrangements is undertaken by the Local Authority. For the school’s year commencing September 2020, the Governing Body has set its admissions number at 21.
Our principal role as a Catholic school is to participate in the mission of the Catholic Church by providing a framework which will help children to grow in their understanding of the Good News and in the practice of their faith. The school will help the children develop fully as human beings and prepare them to undertake their responsibilities as Catholic in society. The school asks all parents applying for a place here to respect this ethos and its importance to the school community. This does not affect the rights of parents who are not of the faith of this school to apply for and be considered for a place here.
ADMISSIONS TO THE SCHOOL will be determined by the Governing Body. Parents must complete a Local Authority Preference Form or apply online via the website www.lancashire.gov.uk/schools. If you wish to have your admission request considered against that school's faith/denomination criteria then you should ALSO complete the Supplementary Information Form (SIF) available in the Local Authority Admissions Booklet or the school’s own SIF. All preferences listed will be considered on an equal basis and, where there are more applications than the number of places available, the following set of OVERSUBSCRIPTION CRITERIA will be applied:
- Looked after children and previously looked after children. This includes children who appear to have been in state care outside of England and ceased to be in state care as a result of being adopted.
- Baptised Catholic children who have a sibling in the school at the time of admission.
- Baptised Catholic children resident in the parish of St Richard.
- Other baptised Catholic children.
- Other children who have a sibling in the school at the time of admission.
- Children from other Christian denominations. Proof of Baptism in the form of a Baptismal Certificate or confirmation in writing that the applicant is a member of their Faith community from an appropriate Minister of Religion is required.
- Children of other faiths. An appropriate Faith Leader would need to confirm in writing that the applicant is a member of their faith group.
- Other children.